Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's so lovely to be back again in London ...


Panic on the streets of London ...

Easter Saturday in England and we decided to play tourist. The weather was quite cooperative yet again so we took the bus to Oxford St. The crowds! William and Catherine merchandise a-plenty (no longer allowed to call her Kate) and I thought to myself "Did they really OK their picture at the bottom of an ashtray?"


Oh hi Tonia

We wandered for a bit around the shops of Mayfair, popping in and out of places I couldn't afford to shop in until my record deal comes through and resisted the urge to go to Fortnam and Mason but did run into Vivian Westwood's men's shop. There was actually one shirt I really liked but seeing how there was no price tag and a pair of men's boxer-briefs were £55 I thought it best not to ask too much. I was reeling from the famous shops and streets; time to go back to being a tourist.

Pall Mall the week before "The Wedding"

The early warmth this year had seen all flowers in bloom and leaves on the trees. The wedding was still a week away but the barricades were already up and we followed them to Buckingham. The flag was flying over the Palace indicating the Queen was home but as she was surely busy preparing, we didn't bother to knock. We walked for what seemed hours only to turn around and headed towards The Houses of Parliament.

Entrance to Downing St.

I really had no idea that Downing St. was now (and possibly forever) closed to pedestrian foot traffic. Again, Crowds! Knackered, we decided on a late lunch. I refused to be in England and not have Fish 'n Chips in a pub and we found a place just south of Trafalgar Square.

The Olympic countdown clock

We had no idea that we decided to go into the heart of London on St. George's day and were greeted by even more crowds, this time with extra yobs. The free concert had started (meh) and I realized we were outside the National Gallery! I was thrilled to see paintings that I'd only ever seen in books, especially Bathers at Asnieres (look it up) by George Seurat. I bought a fridge magnet replica of it, exactly as the artist intended.

The sky started looking angry and on the way back to the bus stop it started pouring rain. Nothing like a good English rain to remind you you're in the UK. Now drenched, we couldn't find out way to Marble Arch to get the bus. An hour later and I saw the bus pass us by. Nothing to do but go for a pint, but not after bumping into this lady:


In case you can't read it it very well (Blackberrys have 'ok' cameras) it says "Dear Prince William, Please put a stop to this wedding. The people are demanding a natural blonde princess. Please do not go ahead with it."  We made to the bus stop in time for the last bus back and we all slept like the dead.

It's so lovely to be back again in London
I've a glow inside
I simply can't conceal
If I seem too sentimental
It isn't accidental
It's just that that's exactly how I feel
When the tourists crowd the gates
Outside the palace
You may rest assured that I will lead the pack
And should the queen ride by me
I'd holler 'Och! Cor blimey!'
I'm so glad I'm back
Every day I'll make my way down Piccadilly
And I'll shout 'Hello!' to every Joe and Jack
Just to feel the feel of London
I always come all undone
But so glad
So glad
I'm back
Judy Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment