Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Oh! England, my Lionheart ...

Regent Street in preparation for the Royal Wedding

Whirlwind tour ...

I am unfamiliar with London and its environs so, in error, I chose to land in Gatwick Airport which was possibly the furthest away from my final destination of Hemel Hempstead. The only form of transport not used that day was a boat. I managed to get the express train from Gatwick to Victoria station, then the Underground (Mind The Gap! I bought myself a shot glass to remind me of this) to Euston station and waited over an hour for the train as British rail was claiming switch problems and all trains were delayed (except Virgin trains - pricey!). Finally on the final train to Hemel, I prayed I was on the correct train as there were no announcements for destinations or stops. Some very nice ladies calmed my nervousness and one of them confirmed by banging on the window from outside the train that indeed I was on the correct route.
Arriving at Hemel, I got in a taxi driven by the talented Mr. Khan. I asked about any discounted fares back to the airport on Monday, very early in the morning and we agreed upon a price I had seen on-line. He gave me his mobile number and dropped me off at my final destination at 1am.


St. Albans

Hemel Hempstead is a perfectly fine suburb of London but for a real Olde Englyshe feel, make sure you take a trip to neighboring St. Albans and St Michael's Village. The location has been settled since before 20 BC and was invaded by Romans around 43 AD and named Verulamium. I know this because I went to the museum there and bought a fridge magnet. There was a Roman wall (in ruins of course), a beautiful park and of course ...

St. Alban's Cathedral from the back

This is a cathedral with a LOT of history. It seemed appropriate that we were there on Good Friday but felt that it was better if the heathens waited until mass was over before entering (besides, it's an Anglican church). Walking around the grounds (even in that photo if you look closely) we see that construction was a process over many centuries with different types of construction materials and architectural styles.


Huge. I'm standing quite a distance away and still couldn't fit it in the frame. Just before I took this shot, the choir hit a particularly haunting note, so I guess it's a "you had to be there" kind of moment. Once mass was finished we went inside to see some of the most intricate woodwork and detail as well as some of the original wall paintings ...


I don't think it was very kosher of me to take a picture inside but c'mon, someone has to preserve this kind of thing right? Back outside, the sun was still beaming and so we went-a-huntin' down the pub.


Didn't stop there but it's purported to be the oldest pub in Britain. The historical plaque told us that Cromwell stabled his horses here and spent the night. See how I say nothing about the name? See how I don't compare this to some sketchier bars in Toronto? Oh, wait ...

Then back to Hemel; my cousin Liz was coming down from the Cotswolds (sounds infectious, but it's a region) to take us out for Greek food (delicious!) and some late night catching up.

I'll stop boring you now ... next stop, London!

Oh! England, my Lionheart,
I'm in your garden, fading fast in your arms.
The soldiers soften, the war is over.
The air raid shelters are blooming clover.
Flapping umbrellas fill the lanes--
My London Bridge in rain again.

Oh! England, my Lionheart!
Peter Pan steals the kids in Kensington Park.
You read me Shakespeare on the rolling Thames--
That old river poet that never, ever ends.
Our thumping hearts hold the ravens in,
And keep the tower from tumbling.

Kate Bush, from the album 'Lionheart' (1978)

No comments:

Post a Comment