Monday, March 28, 2011

The Handyman.


Avert your sensitive eyes!

The plumbing in Denmark is a little different than what I'm used to in Canada. Sometimes the hot/cold taps are reversed (light switches are upside down, flip down to turn on ...) and there is a higher than normal concentration of kalk in the water making it softer but also tends to leave a bit of white residue on taps, showers and dishware. I always hand dry the dishes now.
One thing, also very different, is the drain in the shower. I'm used to a system where the water goes away down that little hole at the end of the tub and every so often I would pull some stray hairs out to be flushed away after the shower. That doesn't happen here. Here, you must unscrew the drain cover and remove the 'filter' to clean and when done regularly, wouldn't be a big deal. I was dreading this when after taking the first shower in my new place, the water didn't go down the drain. "Suck it up and get 'er cleaned" I said to myself. I went out to get a screwdriver (and other things, but this isn't about shopping today), came home, scooped out as much old shower water as I could, undid the screws and spent the better part of ten minutes trying to remove the cover.
Success! Then, retching. It seems that the previous tenants never bothered to do this so good for me, I have a years worth of someone else's showers stuck in the drain. Soap residue and what looked like Phil Spector's best hair day (don't forget the smell!) and who only knows what else was in there.
This was the grossest thing I have ever done and I've poked sticks at dead animals! Not recently, when I was a kid, stop thinking that about me. Once the drain was cleaned, I sprayed the entire shower stall with BANG (another awesome name for something)! Kate, remember when I cleaned your bathroom sink drain? That was a tropical vacation compared to this, complete with rum drinks and a steel band, babe.


Now for something pretty ...

This city to date has never failed to amaze me. The mosaic pictured above was in a driveway alley kind of thing in a rather bland section of town. The piece opposite was of Adam an Eve in the Garden of Eden but of course some idiot tagged it (in yellow! C'mon! Yellow???) and was even larger.
The art and architechture, both old and new, are a feast for the eyes.

Vi vil tale senere!

3 comments: