Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Sarah Project


Where in the World is Uncle YYZ?

An idea hit me on my last day in Canada. I was at my brother's home and my niece Sarah seemed to be getting upset about my imminent departure. We struck a deal. She would be the person I would contact for updates, news and any information I needed to pass on to the family. She would be the one to read aloud my written correspondence to them all (so that everyone would know I was safe and happy).
She readily agreed to this arrangement and after talking with her parents we came up with a plan.
Any place I visited, I would send her a postcard from that location and she would have to find it on a map. The postcard would contain information on where I was, a brief history of the city or country, a notable figure in history and the like ...



Fortunately, I work with a company where people I know travel to various locations around Europe and I've asked them all to bring me back a blank postcard from wherever they have been or were visting from.
Unfortunately I was unable to find anything at the airport in Paris (a confusing mess by the way; a place to avoid at all costs) so for now, a French postcard is out of the question.
I have so far sent one from Quebec City and tomorrow I send one from Copenhagen. In the next week or two I'll be crossing the bridge into Malmö Sweden and am determined (besides visiting the world's largest IKEA) to get her a postcard from Sweden.

Sunset was blocked by cloudy skies tonight - you can't win 'em all ...


Lykkelig pukkel-dag!
(for X)

No comments:

Post a Comment