Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sundown on Søndag

En færdig uge.

Day 7 in Copenhagen and the sun was shining all day. It seems this was the first sunny weekend this year.  I spent a good part of my Saturday nursing a 26oz flu so was determined today to get outside and see some of the city.


A quick trip to Christiania.

It's just as picturesque on the inside. I can only really describe this area as a hippie commune and probably a good place to hide when running from the law. There are open stalls selling paraphanalia of all sorts as well as silver jewelery, 'groovy' clothing and of course pot and hash. For some reason, the police ignore this area and I could guess as to why. The people are calm, keep to themselves, don't seem to cause any problems and the area attracts tourist dollars. Photography is not permitted - a large sign, in English, advises you right before you get to the market area.
Beyond the market is an area where cars are barred, dogs roam free and where the houses seem to be just this shy of being off the grid. Enough of that, it's time for the other end of the spectrum.

Design Heaven, thy name name is Illums Bolighus. Furniture, clothing, home decor - all of it European design and pricey. I could have spent hours  looking at $50 dishes (just a side dish, not a set, not a dinner plate) and $30 tea-light holders (each, not a pair or more) and some of the wildest looking chairs to spring from Scandinavian minds. I'm not even going to talk about the $5000 dollar chair.
I have a friend in Toronto named Michael whose work relates to the design industry as a magazine editor and walking throughout Illums was like strolling through one of his issues. Two doors down is my favorite Danish designer.

It's a bottle opener and I love it. I'm too scared to spend any fun money yet so he will wait until April.

A $7 coffee later (see how good I am with money?) and it was time to go home. Sundown came at 6 and gave me a beautiful sliver of a moonrise.

Godnat.

No comments:

Post a Comment