Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lazy Weekend



Strolling and window shopping ...

In my last post I mentionned that I was going to meet up with some Canadian ex-pats. It was at a bar called Charlie Scott's owned by a man from Edinburgh. They were a nice group of people and before you know it I was on my fifth pint. "Enough!" I said and wandered (read staggered) to the train station.
Woke up with a splitting headache that didn't go away until after dinner.
Determined not to spend another Lørdag lying around, I ventured into Fredericksberg and found I store called Føtex which reminded me a bit of a tight spaced Loblaws Superstore.
They had everything you could need for your home, kitchen and garden. No ashtrays. Some great deals but I was really there to get a better idea of cost of living.


This is a flat toaster. Actually, it's a flat bread carbonizer because I've burnt nearly every piece of bread I've tried to toast. I have never seen one before and I hope to never see one again. I looked at the price of toasters and they're quite reasonable so if there isn't one in the new place, I'm not worried, I can just pop out and get one.



TV

So if you know me well enough, you know that I'm a sucker for the 'Upstairs-Downstairs'-Merchant-Ivory-Brideshead type of thing. Before leaving I had the chance to watch 'Downton Abbey' fulfilling this need of extreme politeness and class war as well as getting some residual Coronation Street fix. At least two of the actors I recognise are from Corrie. Joy! It's just started here so I get to watch the whole thing again!
The odd little purple thing in the picture ... yes. OK well, there's this childrens channel that goes off the air about 8 or 9 and doesn't go to test pattern or anything but shows sleeping people and the countdown to when the next show starts. The people rotate from normal, to clownish make-up then to puppets. If you catch the right cycle, you can hear some of the sleepers farting. Puppets as well.
I think it's brilliant.
There is no real cable in this flat; the man who owns it I don't think goes for watching a lot of TV, he's way more of a music fan. I get maybe 5 channels, 90% of the time it's Danish television shows and the one English-speaking channel I get is Al Jazeera. Ask me anything about Libya. The new place has 40 channels and good because I'm tired of watching TV from YouTube.

One last thing - if you ever hear of a show called 'Miranda' from the BBC, check it out. Such fun.

Nyd din uge!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we are going to have to send you a care package from home with a ashtray in it. Hmm I have kept saying it the next antique of the future. Had a visit from your Mom this morning. She looks well and is going to come over sometime this week for dinner. She is enjoying her week off. Love the Blog Mark and I told your Mom to come and visit and check it out anytime this week if she wanted too. Take care and enjoy what left of your weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete