Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Month in Denmark!


That was fast ...

March, to borrow an old expression, is going out like a lion. It is a windy, damp, chilly day. Copenhagen is essentially on an island and the wind here never lets you forget this fact. I invested in a new umbrella, only 25dkk and I got what I paid for as it has to be one of the worst umbrellas I've ever owned. The wind collapsed it on my way to work this morning. I shall spend my money far more wisely in the future.
The bird in the image above is a common Magpie; they are everywhere here. People don't really seem to like them but I think they're quite pretty. One animal I have yet to see is a squirrel. In my mind, Magpies, Pigeons and Seagulls have replaced Squirrel as the common city animal. I'm completely ok with that, squirrels are rats with fat tails is all - vermin.
I've been meaning to mention that it really is Spring over here. Early flowers are in bloom and I can see buds on trees. My friend Melanie was in London this week and she says it was truly lovely so my guess is that we will be in full Spring mode by next week. Mind you, the weather here is nothing if not unpredictable.


Two milestones in one day.

Today I can also claim to be completely meat-free for an entire year. I don't miss chicken or beef at all but I do kind of miss pork. Pork is a staple food here as is fish. I've been mulling over becoming pescatarian and the variety of fish available is abundant. I doubt if I could still bring myself to go to a fish market, but I may eat some if served to me. We'll see ...

Vi ses!

2 comments:

  1. 'magpies, i throw sticks at them. they laugh behind my back!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like squirrels! They have small hands which make it easy to share snacks with them.

    ReplyDelete